A model of the advertising process
– The viewer doesn’t want to see advertisement. The first step for the copywriter is to break through this resistance.
– When this is done the viewer actively watches and listens to the TV ad
– The message can be emotionally accepted by the viewer in the same way the internalized other or the ideal viewer accepted the message at creation
– The emotional response from the advertisement can be transfered to the brand
– This is later translated to a positive affect for the brand that leads to action
Copywriters are known to always defend their texts from any kind of changes, no matter how small. This is due to them giving up a part of their private selves in the internal dialogs they keep when writing the copy.
Why academic research on marketing doesn’t work good is mainly because “it fails in four essential areas:
1. Presenting advertising (2) to a viewer (3) in an environment that resembles the real viewing situation and (4) measuring results in a meaningful way.” (Kover, p. 605)
[pic: CC-BY-SA, x-ray delta one]